Recently, we got hit up on our FB page by a hip hop artist by the name Ramon Black AKA Swisha Kid. Now, we are big music fans around here and the opportunity to listen to some new talent is always welcomed and enjoyed. So, we had the chance to listen to a few tracks by the Swisha Kid and we were hyped. His style encompasses a true west coast hip hop sound that is not only refreshing, but nostalgic of the days of The Pharcyde, Souls of Mischief, etc.
We contacted the Swisha Kid to get to know him a little more and we thought we would share our interview with all of you so you can get to know him too:
- State your name? Swisha Kid
- Where do you currently reside? Van Nuys, CA.
- What brought you to hip-hop? The fact that I can express any emotion I have and the ability to touch people with words. I think that’s amazing.
- Which musical artists influence your style? Way too many to name lol! I love all genres of music, from hip hop to rock, R&B, blues, country etc if I could sing i'd probably be doing that. I love R&B
- Vinyl or digital? We live in a digital era, what can I say. Its just easier to spread that way now a days.
- Professional athletes have had a history of dipping into the music industry for example: Shaq, Kobe, Dion Sanders, Roy Jones Jr., etc. Even now in the skate world professional skaters such as Terry Kennedy and Jeremy Rogers have tried their hand in the hip-hop arena. Do you think the cross over talent can exist? Or should athletes stick to their profession and leave rapping for the lyricists? Shout out to “Terry Kennedy” and “Jeremy Rogers” those dudes are my homies and both great at what they do. Music is for anyone who wants to pick up a mic and has something to get off their chest. Whether other individuals like the way it comes out, it starts off all about the person who's writing it. Everybody isn’t great at everything and I would never in a million years tell a kid who cant 360 flip to stop trying. I respect anyone who tries.
- Why do you think hip-hop and action sports get along so well? Cause we want to be them and they want to be us. I think mostly it’s the road and the hustle to get to the top. To be a pro athlete is nearly impossible for most people and so is music. I feel we all respect the grind and when you come from a rough background which most of us do, it makes getting to a pro stature that much more spectacular. We all loved music and playing sports as kids, those are the people we looked up to.
- East Coast or West Coast hip-hop? I'm a all coast hip hop head. I love the sounds coming out of both right now, from A$AP Rocky to Fabolous, BIG SEAN, AB SOUL, PUSHA T, LIL WAYNE, THE GAME etc I LOVE THEM ALL. NOTHING BUT RESPECT. Im glad to see everyone working together, that’s awesome!!
- YMCMB or MMG? YOUNG MULA BAY BAY. Lol MMG is cool but YMCMB is smashin' right now. Shout out to “Torey Pudwill” “Carlos Zarazua” and Justin Schulte” they skate with Wayne all the time, those dudes are all dope. Shout out to Wayne to, im still waiting to meet him.
- You also mentioned that you skate as well, how long have you been skating? I started skating when I was 12 got my first shop sponsor at 13, and a Swisha Kid fun fact: Osiris was my first sponsor after I got a shop sponsor. But i've been skating for about 15 years.
- Favorite trick to land? Switch variel heel. Love em'
- Street or vert? Street all day. But im not scared to jump on a mini ramp lol
- If you had the opportunity to meet either Biggie or Pac back in the day who would it be and why? I'd have to go with Pac, he was a real intellectual dude and I would have love to sit and chop it up about a few things.
- Skating or Rhyming? Both. If you see me skating im probably rapping, and if im the studio i'm thinking about skating.
- Where can the fans find your music? www.soundcloud.com/Swishakid www.facebook.com/swishakid www.mercenarymusicgroup.wordpress.com www.youtube.com/Mrswishakid and Ramon Black if you want to see some skating. Im always posting new stuff and new events.
- What are your plans for 2013? Branch out and just solidify my spot as a Artist/Songwriter, also i'd like to put out a skate part by the end of the year so i'll probably start trying to film for that. I have some clips I haven’t put out yet but i'm ready to go H.A.M., drop some hammers on em' lol so be on the look out for that as well.
- One word to describe the Swisha Kid? Unique
- Any shout outs you want to give? Shout out to Felix Ugalde and the Osiris team for hooking me up and setting this up for me, S/O to all my skater homies doing it big Norman Woods, Carlos Zarazua, Torey Pudwill, Justin Schulte, P.rod, Jeremy Rogers, TK make sure you guys check out the “Primitive” video Pain is beauty. S/O out to my fam CYQCG some more dope up and coming artist. S/O to my whole family in Kansas and really to everyone that supports what im doing, you guys are the best.